I was trying to think of ways to make the most mundane kitchen tasks feel more magickal and less of a chore, so I thought I'd explore the magickal correspondences of some really ordinary foods - starting with mashed potato. Breaking down the ingredients, these are the magickal properties I found:
- Water: Life
- Potatoes: Stability and protection
- Butter: Smooths and soothes energies, increases tenacity and eases transitions
- Salt: Protection, purification, healing
- Pepper: Protection, banishing negativity
- Garlic: Protection, strength and healing
- Onion: Prosperity, stability, endurance, protection and banishing negativity
I've been seasoning our mash with increasing amounts of garlic and onion granules (about 1/4 tsp of each), mixed with 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper, lashings of butter but no milk for some time now. If it needs more liquid I reserve some of the cooking water and use that. First I mash with a masher, then I whip it from here to next week with a big old fork to make it nice and creamy - till it feels like my arm's going to fall off. I see this as a way of raising the power it needs to deliver the magick.
Looking at the overlapping magickal properties of all the ingredients, it's no wonder mashed potato is such a great comfort food!
The photo is copyright Jane Mortimer.
Previous related posts